One of the mistakes I have made in my previous diets, aside from them being DIETS and not lifestyle changes, is depriving myself of many food pleasures. One thing I know for certain is that I have a sweet tooth! I often struggle with this when I don’t allow myself to eat foods with processed sugars. This means no ice cream, cookies, cakes, candies, etc. However, I can be very realistic in saying that this will NEVER work for me as a lifestyle. A girl needs her sweet treats! So, after some hunting around on the web, I found various recipes that said you could combine any can of fruity pie filling with a boxed mix for angel food cake and it would make a delicious treat. Tonight, I made it with strawberry. I am going to share this with you because it was ridiculously delicious!
I broke down the nutritional content and figured that if you get 16 servings from one 9 x 13 pan, each serving contains:
- 140 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 254.375mg sodium
- 32.75 grams of carbs
- 24.25 of which are from sugar
- 1.5 grams of protein
- These are the products I chose. I read that you can do any type of fruity pie mix: blueberry, apple, pumpkin, cherry, etc.
- The strawberry pie filling had large chunks of strawberries in it…
- …so, I pureed it with my handy dandy stick blender to get a better consistency for a cake.
- Pureed goodness.
- Mixed with the angel food mix – no other ingredients! It gets super fluffy.
- Pour it into a 9 x 13 pan. I did spray mine with baking spray so it wouldn’t stick.
- Bake it at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes, depending upon your pan. Check the center to make sure it is cooked through. it will be dense.
- Expect large amounts of shrinkage.
- Enjoy, add a dollop of Cool Whip Free for a little added creaminess and you have yourself a strawberry shortcake-esque slice of Heaven! Holy smokes, this was delicious!
As I discover more healthy-ish treats, I will certainly post them. Please feel free to let me know of any of your hidden treasures!